Gummy vitamins—sounds like a kids’ breakfast cereal, right? Well, wrong. It’s not kid’s play anymore!
Tasty, easy to consume, and loaded with nutrients — these chewable delights have stormed the adult supplement scene like a rockstar. You would be amazed that the global gummy vitamins market size grew from $6.47 billion in 2022 to $7.13 billion in 2023!
But a major question lurks about gummy vitamins like any other gummies. Do gummy vitamins make you gain weight?
Gummy vitamins may make you gain weight if taken in excess, as some contain added sugar. Each gummy may contain around 15 to 40 calories and 1 to 3 grams of sugar, depending on the ingredients. So, taking 3 or more gummies can increase your overall calorie intake and lead to weight gain.
Stay with us to learn more about the gummy vitamin and how it can impact your weight.
What Are Gummy Vitamins?
Gummy vitamins are a dietary supplement containing vitamins, minerals, or other nutrients in a gummy form. They are easy to chew and swallow and taste like candy, which makes them more appealing and enjoyable than traditional vitamins.
Gummy vitamins come in different types, depending on the nutrients they contain. Some of the most common types of gummy vitamins are-
- Multivitamins: Multivitamins provide a variety of vitamins and minerals – vitamins A, C, D, E, and B complex, calcium, iron, zinc, etc., to support overall health and wellness.
- Single-nutrient supplements: Contain only one specific nutrient to target specific health goals like boosting the immune system or supporting bone health.
- Specialty supplements: Contains added ingredients like probiotics, omega-3s, and herbal extracts that offer extra health benefits like improved digestion, skin health, and sleep quality.
How Are Gummy Vitamins Made: The Ingredients
Some common ingredients in gummy vitamins are:
- Gelatin for the chewy texture
- Corn starch to thicken and stabilize the mixture.
- Sugar for flavor and calories
- Added colorings
- Flavorings for diverse tastes, such as lemon, cherry, orange, pineapple, etc.
- Vitamins and minerals for nutrients.
Do Gummy Vitamins Make You Gain Weight?
CSpecificgummy vitamins may lead to weight gain due to their ingredients. Some gummies contain added sugars, which can trigger insulin production, a hormone that promotes weight gain.
Consuming too many gummy vitamins with added sugar can lead to excessive calorie consumption, contributing to weight gain.
Each gummy vitamin can have 1-3 grams of sugar, depending on the brand. By taking three gummies daily as recommended, you may consume 3-9 grams of sugar daily, adding up to 90-270 calories daily or 2700-8100 calories monthly from gummy vitamins alone.
Over time, this can cause weight gain, especially if you don’t burn off those extra calories through exercise or other activities. It can also lead to various health issues, including diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and tooth decay.
Besides, though gummy vitamins provide nutrients conveniently and flavorfully, the quality and quantity of the nutrients are often questionable. Some brands may provide low-quality and insufficient nutrients than other supplements (pills, capsules, or powder).
Lastly, some people may experience a temporary increase in appetite when taking gummy vitamins. It can lead to overeating and cause you to gain weight.
Do Sugar-Free Gummy Vitamins Make You Gain Weight?
Sugar-free gummy vitamins may not cause weight gain directly, but overeating may lead to several health issues, including obesity. They may contain sugar alcohols (erythritol or xylitol), other sweeteners (high-sugar fruit juice), fillers, and chemical additives. These can cause unpleasant digestive issues, bloating, toxicity, decayed tooth enamel, etc.
So, always check the supplement label and consult a healthcare professional before taking gummy vitamins. Also, take them in moderation and be mindful of your overall sugar intake.
Remember, gummy vitamins are not a substitute for a balanced diet.
Are Gummy Vitamins Good For You: The Pros And Cons
Here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of gummy vitamins.
Some of the benefits of gummy vitamins are-
- They contain beneficial nutrients that support your immunity, growth, development, energy, and overall health.
- These supplements have a candy-like taste and a chewy texture, making them more enjoyable.
- These are an excellent option for those who struggle with pills or capsules or have peaky little ones who do. They go down smoothly and without any hassle.
- Convenient and portable, take them anywhere without needing water or food.
- You can easily store and transport them in a container like a jar or bag.
Some of the drawbacks of gummy vitamins are-
- Gummy vitamins can have a high amount of sugar or artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors, and preservatives that can affect your health negatively.
- They may not have enough nutrients or the right balance you need and cause vitamin deficiency.
- The sugar or gelatin-coated gummy vitamins may have lower bioavailability or absorption rates than other supplements, which can interfere with the digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- The candy-like taste and flavor of gummy vitamins may be tempting to eat more than the recommended dose, leading to adverse effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, liver damage, kidney stones, toxicity, etc.
How to Choose the Best Gummy Vitamins for Your Needs?
If you want to take gummy vitamins, you should know some tips and tricks to choose the best ones.
- Read the label for serving size, ingredients, nutrients, calories, sugar, and other important info.
- Look for quality certifications or seals from third-party organizations to ensure the gummy vitamins are pure, potent, and safe.
- Explore a variety of brands, dig into reviews, and select the options that perfectly align with your unique preferences, budget, and objectives.
- Consult your doctor for safe and appropriate medication and monitoring and adjust dosage if needed.
Alternatives to Gummy Vitamins
Here are some alternatives to gummy vitamins.
- Whole foods: A balanced diet with fruits, veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins is key for getting vital nutrients.
- Traditional vitamins: Pills and capsules are better than gummy vitamins as they don’t have added sugars or chemicals.
- Chewable vitamins: Chewable vitamins are a healthier option than gummy ones, have no added sugars or chemicals, and are easy to swallow.
- Liquid supplements: You can take liquid supplements by mouth or mix them with drinks for faster absorption and better bioavailability. However, they can have a strong taste or odor and need refrigeration.
Do gummy bears cause weight gain?
Eating too many gummy bears can cause weight gain because they have a lot of sugar and calories. Each bag of gummy bears has about 69 calories, so eating more than one bag at a time can cause the syrup in the gummy bears to turn into fat in your body.
Which vitamin helps in weight gain?
The list of vitamins that cause weight gain are-
Do gummy vitamins make you sleepy?
Some gummy vitamins contain active ingredients such as melatonin, L-theanine, or CBD
that may promote sleep. They have calming and relaxing effects, help regulate your sleep-wake cycle, and make you fall asleep faster and longer. But not all gummy vitamins make you sleepy. Some may have stimulating ingredients like caffeine, sugar, or vitamin B12.
Do gummy vitamins make you gain weight? Well, they may make you gain weight depending on the types, ingredients, and how much you intake. Some gummy vitamins may contain added sugar that can increase your calorie intake if you eat more than recommended. Thus, it can lead to weight gain.
For more on safe supplementation, visit our blogs.
I am a health and wellness enthusiast working in a Pittsburgh-based wellness clinic. My primary role as a consultant is to tailor a balanced lifestyle for my patients, where positive steps and potent supplements play a synergistic role.